Tuesday, March 22, 2011

trees, time and tides

My mother has always been someone who notices the trees that grow by the sides of the roads.

She likes to comment on those that grew in a special way, and those she found unique.

I used to always think; why does my mother like to stare at the trees when there are other things to see?

I never really understood, until one day, I found myself noticing the trees. The very same trees she liked and mentioned of in the past.

Then I realized why my mother was so observant when it came to trees. It wasn't necessarily about the trees. It was more of how our world is rapidly changing. & I can't imagine how different the world must have been to my mother as a child and teenager. How things were so much simpler back then. Those days, trees surrounded people. Now, concrete structures have taken their place.

So then I understood. It wasn't about the trees at all.

Through my mother's eyes, those trees are reminders of the days gone by. Tiny glimpses of her past.

& then I had that strange, nostalgic feeling that comes around every once in awhile.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. Maybe my mother just has a passion for botany.

But anyways, now I take notice of the trees. & appreciate the time and surroundings that I'm in - because one day, it will all be so different.
Sent by DiGi from my BlackBerry® Smartphone

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So,at last you do understand & is able to see what your mom see and here many teenagers claiming that parents are not understanding enough or perhaps, we are the one who can't "see" what lies ahead. ironic.

Anonymous said...

nice post :D

-lilly